What happened to Lisp.org?

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.

What happened to Lisp.org?

Postby taylor_venable » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:04 am

That used to be what I used to read the Hyperspec, but I can't even ping it these last few weeks.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." -- Mark Twain
User avatar
taylor_venable
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:50 am
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

Re: What happened to Lisp.org?

Postby findinglisp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:11 am

I have no idea. IMO, lisp.org has been unstable for a long time now. I have no idea who actually keeps that infrastructure running. I know Zach has the planet.lisp.org domain delegated to him and he runs his own server, so that's unrelated.

Personally, I either read the Hyperspec at the Lispworks site (http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/common-lisp.html), or I download it and keep it local (typically the latter since it's faster and I never have the problem of a site becoming unreachable right as I'm trying to work through a Lisp coding problem). If you're working on a Fedora system, you can download an RPM package of the Hyperspec from fedoralisp.org.
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/
findinglisp
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: What happened to Lisp.org?

Postby tayssir » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Oops, forgot to respond. Duane Rettig mentioned:

The ALU's machine, "bibop", has crashed hard. We're working very hard
to bring the website back up. Part of the problem is that bibop is a
very old machine, and we had already been discussing replacement
strategies. The crash comes at a bad time, so we may host the website
on another machine temporarily. Sorry for the inconvenience, and
thanks for your patience.
tayssir
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: What happened to Lisp.org?

Postby tayssir » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:10 pm

BTW, it's pretty interesting to see how AI-era Lisp users deal with... webserver crashes. His post was from 11 days ago.

The ALU has always been an enigma to me. ;)
Last edited by tayssir on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
tayssir
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: What happened to Lisp.org?

Postby theclapp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:14 am

tayssir wrote:BTW, it's pretty interesting to see how AI-era Lisp users deal with... webserver crashes. His post was from 11 days ago.

The ALU has always been an enigma to me.

I'll bite. :) What does having used Lisp 20 years ago, or being a member of the ALU board, have to do with the response to a server going down? Surely anyone anywhere can have too few tuits to deal with some random disaster that doesn't directly affect them?
theclapp
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am

Re: What happened to Lisp.org?

Postby tayssir » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:47 am

theclapp wrote:I'll bite. :) What does having used Lisp 20 years ago, or being a member of the ALU board, have to do with the response to a server going down? Surely anyone anywhere can have too few tuits to deal with some random disaster that doesn't directly affect them?


Excuse me -- does that post come across as very critical? If so, I could edit it.

(In fact I momentarily did, since I just saw your post before I ran out of the house, but I reverted it back.)
tayssir
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: What happened to Lisp.org?

Postby theclapp » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:33 am

tayssir wrote:
theclapp wrote:I'll bite. :) What does having used Lisp 20 years ago, or being a member of the ALU board, have to do with the response to a server going down? Surely anyone anywhere can have too few tuits to deal with some random disaster that doesn't directly affect them?

Excuse me -- does that post come across as very critical? If so, I could edit it.

"Very critical"? No. Barely even critical. I hope mine didn't come across as anything more than amused confusion. I'm just honestly curious why you would associate their response to a server going down with their AI era Lispiness.
theclapp
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am


Return to The Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron