Newbie in Lisp

Discussion of Common Lisp
Main

Re: Newbie in Lisp

Post by Main » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:15 am

Don't. That's the Win32 API for graphics programming using nothing but windows. Go get yourself lispbuilder-sdl with quicklisp. It'll be cross-platform, you'll be able to call lisp functions in your lisp image instead of C ones in the windows libs, and you won't have to deal with the ungodly nightmare that is the Win32 API. Much much easier all round. Also, SDL is designed for game programming, and it shouldn't be hard to find tutorials on how to code simple games and game effects.

If you want a scrolling briefing, create a large image or text, render to an SDL surface, and then move it's y-coordinate upwards by a fixed amount per second. It'll be easier if you lock the framerate, too, so that one second is a defined number of frames. If you have a fixed resolution as well, then you can just create something in MS Paint, Photoshop, the GIMP, or any other image editor.I don't know how you'd loop it, if that's what you want to do. Have two, move the top one to the bottom once it's off the screen? Something like that.

Also, check out the lisp games wiki: http://lispgames.org/

E_Blackadder

Post by E_Blackadder » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:38 pm

If your're really wanting to program the Windows API (I warn you its a evil land), I think that Corman Common Lisp has pretty good Win32 abilities but I have not used it myself, same with Lispworks, sadly not free or portable to other platforms.

E_Blackadder

Konfusius

Post by Konfusius » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Clozure CL has integrated a full Win32-API right out of the box. But its poorly documented and you already need to know how to program the Win32-API in C to use it successfully.