My first program in Lisp.

Discussion of Common Lisp
bokshi

My first program in Lisp.

Post by bokshi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:31 am

Hi all. I am new to this forum and new to the world of lisp. I am doing my first program in lisp but having trouble to increment the count. I have posted my code. below. When I try to find the first position it gives me the correct one but when I try to get the second or third it give me 1 all the time. Please help me out guys.

;; comment
;; question
;; (position-in-list 'a '(a b c d))
;; -> 1

;; Program

(defun position-in-list (letter list) )
( cond
( (null list) nill
)
( (eq (car list) letter) count
)
( t (position-in-list letter (cdr list)) count)
)
)

;; it counts the position number in the list.
;; count function
( defun count ()
( + 0 1)
)

krzysz00

Re: My first program in Lisp.

Post by krzysz00 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:58 pm

bokshi wrote:Hi all. I am new to this forum and new to the world of lisp. I am doing my first program in lisp but having trouble to increment the count. I have posted my code. below. When I try to find the first position it gives me the correct one but when I try to get the second or third it give me 1 all the time. Please help me out guys.
Hi, welcome to LispForum. I'm glad you're trying to learn more about Common Lisp. However, there are a few problems with the code.

First, the formatting. You should be using an editor that is aware of the syntax of Common Lisp, such as Emacs. Also, closing parenthesis usually don't get their own line, and the bodies of forms are indented by spaces. In addition, you should post your code between tags. With these hints in mind, here is a re-formatted version of your code:

Code: Select all

;; comment
;; question
;; -> 1

;; Program

(defun position-in-list (letter list)
  (cond
    ((null list) nil)
    ((eq (car list) letter) count)
    (t (position-in-list letter (cdr list)) count)))

;; it counts the position number in the list.
;; count function
(defun count ()
  (+ 0 1))
Then, on to the matter of your program. The count function, which is never called, always returns 1. The `count' variable in `position-in-list' is never defined, and you call your function with three arguments in the `t' branch of the `cond'. However, you have the basic structure of a position function. Here is a version that will actually produce the desired result:

;; comment
;; question
;; -> 0

;; Program

(defun %position-in-list (letter list count)
  (cond
    ((null list) nil)
    (t (%position-in-list letter (cdr list) (1+ count)))))

(%position-in-list letter list 0))
It is possible to avoid the use of two functions by using the `labels' special form and closures, which might be concepts you haven't gotten to yet. If you don't understand this version, please ask and I will try to go through it.

;; comment
;; question
;; -> 0

;; Program

(labels 
      ((%position-in-list (list count)
	 (cond
	   ((null list) nil)
	   (t (%position-in-list (cdr list) (1+ count))))))
    (%position-in-list list 0)))
Good luck with your Common Lisp endeavors!

KAD