Lisp and GPU computing

Discussion of Common Lisp
speech impediment

Lisp and GPU computing

Post by speech impediment » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:59 pm

I seem to have trouble finding anything substantial about this topic. The closest thing that I could find is GPUlib, but I didn't find the word 'lisp' relating to it. A search on this forum mentions nada about CUDA etc. It seems to me that there is hardly any interest in GPU computing with Lisp. I mean I am a beginner, so I doubt I will do any hardcore GPU computing soon, but I thought I could at least find some introductory information about Lisp and GPU computing. I wanted to find out which GPU platform (ATI or Nvidia) would be better for Lispers. I realize 'better' has a million aspects to it.

So... is GPU computing with Lisp dead in the water?

ramarren

Re: Lisp and GPU computing

Post by ramarren » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 pm

I think I see occasional discussions about GPU computing on #lisp, but they usually amount to saying that it would be interesting, but no one has time or motivation. I don't have any idea how that works, anyway, but presumably you would use GPU for general purpose computation in Lisp the same way as from any other non-C language.

Halberdier

Post by Halberdier » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:01 am

I reply two years later, but hopefully someone will still be browsing this topic.
I asked the same question in stackoverflow and I got some answer http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6047 ... s-for-cuda
I believe that if it is viable for Python (PyCUDA), it is also for Lisp, but, as the previous answer pointed out, apparently there is little interest. But I am convinced that GPGPU is a hot topic in the future of hardware, and if the entire Lisp will not fade away, sooner or later someone will need to confront with it.

nuntius

Post by nuntius » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:18 pm

You might be interested in CL-GPU.