Lisp mailing-list ?

Discussion of books and various other resources about Lisp

Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby xma » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi,

Do you know a way to receive comp.lang.lisp in mail format ? I am no longer reading Usenet (due to lot of spams) and I miss it. I need to find the perfect Usenet<->mail service (even non free as in free beer) :)

Apart that, is there any other good lisp mailing-list one should read ?

Regards
xma
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 am
Location: France

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby findinglisp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:47 pm

xma wrote:Hi,

Do you know a way to receive comp.lang.lisp in mail format ? I am no longer reading Usenet (due to lot of spams) and I miss it. I need to find the perfect Usenet<->mail service (even non free as in free beer) :)

Apart that, is there any other good lisp mailing-list one should read ?


So you want to read c.l.l in email format because there is too much spam on c.l.l... :?: :?: :?:

Did I get that right? What's the punchline on this one? :D
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/
findinglisp
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby xma » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:09 pm

I want to get rid of spam from usenet and thus avoid reading/postin from/to usenet thus the need for a usenet<->mail service provider (with spam filtering on their servers). CLL is ont of the groups I was reading (amongst other)
xma
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 am
Location: France

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby findinglisp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:59 pm

Okay, gotcha. Apologies, I was just chuckling a bit because I always find that email, even with spam filters, has boat-loads of spam. I have finally concluded that there really is no escape from spam, unfortunately. :(
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/
findinglisp
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby xma » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:28 am

findinglisp wrote:Okay, gotcha. Apologies, I was just chuckling a bit because I always find that email, even with spam filters, has boat-loads of spam. I have finally concluded that there really is no escape from spam, unfortunately. :(


Sadly, I agree :/
xma
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 am
Location: France

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby wm.annis » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:14 am

Parasites always find a way to suck up high-quality resources.
wm.annis
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:01 am

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:44 am

The spam on usenet is something that irritates me as well. I tried creating rules to filter out spam but plenty still got through. I now have only one rule, to filter any subject that doesn't begin with 'Re:' which traps almost all spam. It does filter out the opening message of a thread as well but the relevant parts are usually quoted in the replies. I'm sure there are better ways than this, but it's ok for me.
Dave
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:12 am

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby xma » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Concerning my usenet2mail and viceversa, do you have something ? :)
xma
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 am
Location: France

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby schoppenhauer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Dave wrote:The spam on usenet is something that irritates me as well. I tried creating rules to filter out spam but plenty still got through. I now have only one rule, to filter any subject that doesn't begin with 'Re:' which traps almost all spam. It does filter out the opening message of a thread as well but the relevant parts are usually quoted in the replies. I'm sure there are better ways than this, but it's ok for me.
Hm... If that really works, one could just "restore" the opening messages after an answer was sent - but if everyone did this, noone would ever be able to give an answer, because noone would see any Re:-Postings... Except from Spam-Mails, because the Spammers would learn from that.
Sorry for my bad english.
Visit my blog http://blog.uxul.de/
schoppenhauer
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Lisp mailing-list ?

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:22 pm

schoppenhauer wrote:
Dave wrote:The spam on usenet is something that irritates me as well. I tried creating rules to filter out spam but plenty still got through. I now have only one rule, to filter any subject that doesn't begin with 'Re:' which traps almost all spam. It does filter out the opening message of a thread as well but the relevant parts are usually quoted in the replies. I'm sure there are better ways than this, but it's ok for me.
Hm... If that really works, one could just "restore" the opening messages after an answer was sent - but if everyone did this, noone would ever be able to give an answer, because noone would see any Re:-Postings... Except from Spam-Mails, because the Spammers would learn from that.


schoppenhauer.

I accept your point, but I don't take the view that because it wouldn't work if everyone did it that nobody should be allowed to do it. Many people lurk on Usenet or boards such as this and if everyone did that nobody would reply, but I think people should be allowed to lurk if they want to. As I look down my newsreader this morning I don't have a single piece of spam and I'm not in any great hurry to see it back again.

Sorry xma, didn't mean to go off topic.
Dave
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:12 am

Next

Return to Books and Resources

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest