Ide help for the confused

Discussion of Common Lisp
Hubertus

Re: Ide help for the confused

Post by Hubertus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:34 pm

i am now using this one:
http://www.daansystems.com/lispide/

what do you god-like lispers think about it?

I X Code X 1

Post by I X Code X 1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:54 pm

I've used it. Doesn't do anything special but it is a IDE so you don't have to use the REPL at all times (though you should learn to use the REPL), and it does match parens. Should be a good starting IDE.

Hubertus

Post by Hubertus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 pm

i would like to use the repl but unfortionatly i cant strg+v text into it. so when i have to reset it, i have to write everything again from the beginning.

I X Code X 1

Post by I X Code X 1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Well you could always write them to files. But even easier with LisdIDE you can try functions out at the REPL and when you think you've got it working the way you want it, write it into the top part. You can then save the top part the same way you'd save any file in any program and can open it the next time you come back.

wvxvw

Post by wvxvw » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:00 am

Hubertus wrote:i would like to use the repl but unfortionatly i cant strg+v text into it. so when i have to reset it, i have to write everything again from the beginning.
This is why SLIME exists :) With it you can send to REPL pieces of your code (you can send a function definition, or just the last S-expression you typed). You can even load the libraries your code uses in REPL so you could test your code that literary makes use of those libraries. Consider something like this:

Code: Select all

(in-package :my-code-that-uses-cxml)

(defun print-attributes (node)
  (loop with attributes =  (dom:attributes node)
    for i from 0 upto (dom:length attributes)
    do (format t "attribute: ~a~&" (dom:name (dom:item attributes i)))))

(print-attributes (dom:first-child (cxml:parse "<foo a=\"a\" b=\"b\"/>")))
You would test it something like this: you'd go to REPL and type (require :cxml) (because your project relies on that package and you used it in the function you want to test). Then, if you are using SLIME, you'd move the caret inside the (defun print-attribute ...) and tell it to send the defun to REPL. After that you could move the caret to the end of the last line and tell SLIME to send the last S-expression to the REPL, in REPL you would then see the result (or errors if you have them).
Working w/o REPL is like writing in Java but never debugging...

Hubertus

Post by Hubertus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:41 am

lispide works the same way

Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:40 am

In LispIDE, when you go to settings=>lisp path, you navigate to your implementation and it will load it in the bottom window every time you start it.
Don't take the FUN out of DEFUN !