Having Trouble Saving

Discussion of other Lisp dialects (Arc, Clojure, AutoLisp, XLISP, etc.)
giga-bite

Having Trouble Saving

Post by giga-bite » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 pm

You probably haven't seen me before. I am new to the world of Lisp. I couldn't find any Lisp related content on any other forums, so I got an account on this one. Bear with me, as I am not a very experienced programmer. However, I am still determined to learn Lisp. It seemed to be the language with the most promise, as it can create functions. Now, to the point. The internet is either really messed up, or I'm just not using the right search engine, because I can't seem to find any sort of tutorial on Lisp in plain English. So, I decided to come here for my help.

I need to find out how save my file. Sounds simple right? Yeah...there's the problem. I use GNU Clisp. I have the setup of the REPL down, but I need help figuring out how to save something into it. My setup goes as such- I take hours creating a program. Then, I need to save it. I find out there is no easy to find way to do this. Anyone got an answer?

Also, a Clisp tutorial would be appreciated.

C_S

gugamilare

Re: Having Trouble Saving

Post by gugamilare » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:55 am

You should save your program in a file, not write it directly in Clisp. Then load the file when you want to use the code.

It is easier to load files or evaluate code if you set up a programming environment. There are various alternatives.
  • The recommended default environment is to set up Slime with Emacs.
  • Emacs can be tricky to learn at first, you may try Able instead, which is simpler and somehow similar to Emacs.
  • There are tutorials on Cliki's Getting Started.
  • If you want to use Slime + Emacs, you may set up the environment using Quicklisp, there are instructions on how to set up Quicklisp and Slime in Quicklisp's beta page. Quicklisp is better because you will be able to download several libraries.
  • Last but not least, one environment that is very pleasant to the eyes, although lacks features of Slime+Emacs, you may try Cusp, which uses Eclipse, a very shiny and colorful, but heavy editor used to program in Java.
Good luck and have fun :)

giga-bite

Post by giga-bite » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:53 am

Thank you. I stopped using Emacs because I didn't want to learn another language to use the language I wanted to use. I will try one of the alternatives.

Thanks!

-C_S

giga-bite

Post by giga-bite » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks. I tried an alternate platform, Able, to be specific, and it turns out that I can run Able applications using Able or Clisp. Your information really helped.

-C_S

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:47 pm

You are welcome :)