Stupid question: how do you read mailing lists effectively?

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.
Jasper

Stupid question: how do you read mailing lists effectively?

Post by Jasper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I mean, archives like this are hardly human-readable.. Any application that makes them look more like this forum; a list of titles and and if you look at the thread the posts neatly in sequence.

nuntius

Re: Stupid question: how do you read mailing lists effectively?

Post by nuntius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Behold Gmane.

dmitry_vk

Post by dmitry_vk » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:17 am

Jasper wrote:I mean, archives like this are hardly human-readable.. Any application that makes them look more like this forum; a list of titles and and if you look at the thread the posts neatly in sequence.
You can use regular mail reader. E.g., KMail or Evolution.

speech impediment

Post by speech impediment » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:20 pm

So far, the most forum like mailing list I have found is at google. Posts are not sorted by any topic, but I no longer have to keep on clicking just to read the next response. There's quite a bit of spam...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lan ... pics?gvc=2

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks for the replies.. To be honest, none of those really solve the problem for me.. I don't see how to use evolution like that. (I don't want to subscribe or anything, i just want to browse them when i hit them.. Gmane could work, but still seems rather a hassle and it is based on a third party, hardly desirable. And how googles mailing lists look doesn't help when it isn't a google mailing list. (And i wouldn't want to be any more dependent on google.)

I do kindah have as my main project something that is rather applicable, and the format for those mailing lists seems rather consistent and simple, so i should be able to html-parse them and then turn it into GIL code.. (And then to anything that outputs to.) But it will take a while before i have actually done that.