Mudballs... Dead?

Discussion of Common Lisp
gugamilare

Mudballs... Dead?

Post by gugamilare » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:01 pm

In mudballs mailing list (actually, google group) it was announced that the author, Sean Ross, can't continue to maintain the project anymore. It is a pity, since, with some extra work, it could be made a very good replacement for ASDF and clbuild.

I sure hope that there is a brave person to take the project. I can't take it right now.

smithzv

Re: Mudballs... Dead?

Post by smithzv » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:40 pm

I am not volunteering myself for Mudballs, but I would like more information. Why Mudballs over something else? Are there any experienced individuals out there that can sum up the differences between the available build systems? I already am pretty familiar with ASDF, but I have seen these projects pop up now and then:

1. clbuild
2. xcvb
3. POIU
4. Mudballs
5. defsystem (already dead?)

These all seem to be relatively active, and there are probably a few more I missed...

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:56 am

smithzv wrote:I am not volunteering myself for Mudballs, but I would like more information. Why Mudballs over something else? Are there any experienced individuals out there that can sum up the differences between the available build systems? I already am pretty familiar with ASDF, but I have seen these projects pop up now and then:

1. clbuild
2. xcvb
3. POIU
4. Mudballs
5. defsystem (already dead?)

These all seem to be relatively active, and there are probably a few more I missed...
clbuild is very neat (I use it), but it is not an ASDF replacement or something, it actually works with ASDF. And clbuild is much better than asdf-install because you can easily incorporate some project in the list and download it as if it were already there, . you can:

- clean fasl files of some project or of all of them,
- (re)compile a project
- dump a core (save the lisp image for fast startup - this is a hand on the wheel)
- create a new project (it initializes a git repo automatically as well)

Mudballs was more or less like asdf + asdf-install, with a advantages over both of them together. See Mudballs.com for more info (there is an intro and a short FAQ in the beginning). With a few more work, it could become as good as or even better than clbuild in downloading projects.

I don't know about the other projects so I can't talk about them.

aerique

Post by aerique » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:08 am

gugamilare wrote:I don't know about the other projects so I can't talk about them.
Defsystem was the predecessor to ASDF.