LispForum topic structure

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.
findinglisp

LispForum topic structure

Post by findinglisp » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:20 am

I took a first shot at the topic structure for the forums here. I doubt I've done it correctly for the long term, though. It seemed like I wanted to have a place for people to hang out and discuss things that might be related to Lisp tangentially, announce things, etc.; then have a place to discuss the language itself; then have a place to discuss other resources like editors and books; and finally a place to discuss implementation-specific questions.

Right now, I don't like the fact that there are so many implementation-specific forums, but I didn't feel like I could cut any of them out. What I may do is see what the high runners are going to be (probably SBCL, CMUCL, CLISP, and possibly Allegro and LispWorks), and then cut down the others that are very low traffic and aggregate them into an "Other Implementations" category.

If anybody has any other thoughts, just post follow-ups here.
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/

death

Re: LispForum topic structure

Post by death » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:18 am

Not really a thought about the structuring, but I noticed that the subtitle for the Vim section is wrong.

findinglisp

Post by findinglisp » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:25 am

death wrote:Not really a thought about the structuring, but I noticed that the subtitle for the Vim section is wrong.
Indeed. Oops. :oops:
Cheers, Dave

jsmcgd

Post by jsmcgd » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:48 am

I wouldn't worry about the topic structure. It is slightly unusual but thats probably due to Lisp's unusual nature not your taxonomy skills.

Jacques Chester

Post by Jacques Chester » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Two suggestions off the top of my head:

1. An "other editors" subforum. I realise Emacs and Vi(m) are the big dogs, but some of us don't use them.
2. A "total newbies" or "Learning Lisp" subforum for learners like yours truly.

Jacques Chester

Post by Jacques Chester » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:34 am

And another thing. May I suggest using Apache Rewrites to give the URLs a bit of niceness? :)

Flatlander

Post by Flatlander » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:02 am

I second Jaqcues suggestion about newbies subforum. Maybe called 'Getting started', it could be for newbie questions as well as general installation issues (asdf-install, does foo work with bar, where to get baz...)

I also don't think fragmenting the forums to several implementation specific subforums is a good idea. Maybe consider dividing this up with CL, Scheme, and Other Lisps plus some cross implementation, genre specific subforums (Web development, GUIs etc.)

Edit: Oh, and maybe rename the Books section to Books and Resources, it could be useful for posting information about all kinds of lisp related learning resources, including papers and videos etc.

findinglisp

Post by findinglisp » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:01 am

1. Other editors I'll think about. I'm not trying to give anybody and everybody a place to ask editor questions, however. The main goal for the Emacs and VI forums is to collect the various questions about SLIME and Limp. If your editor has a great editing environment for Lisp, I'll consider creating another.

2. I hear you on the total newbies forum. I thought about that. Currently, my thinking is that I'd rather drop people off into the deep end with a particular dialect. If your question is about asdf-install or something, ask it in the Common Lisp forum. If you're really such a complete newbie that you don't even know where your question goes, that's one reason for The Lounge.

3. On Apache rewrites, yea, I hear you there. I was going to do some looking into that. Honestly, I don't get too much heartburn with various parameters since they have to be in there anyway, but there are some SEO-friendly things that happen with nice URLs that would help the bots to better index the site for global searching as the content builds up.

4. The implementation-specific subforums are a compromise. I'm pretty sure we'll whittle them down. What I didn't want to have happen was the dialect forums get a constant stream of implementation-specific questions. This wouldn't be a concern if we were building Ruby Forum or Perl Forum or Python Forum, where you have a single-implementation language (by and large, I know about Jython, Iron Ruby, etc.). So for instance, I created the SBCL forum with the hope that people who really wanted to discuss SBCL implementation issues, and nothing but SBCL implementation issues would have a place to do that without forcing everybody else interested in other implementations to wade through the content. But it's definitely a compromise.
Cheers, Dave

mikaeljansson

Post by mikaeljansson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:49 am

findinglisp wrote:1. Other editors I'll think about. I'm not trying to give anybody and everybody a place to ask editor questions, however. The main goal for the Emacs and VI forums is to collect the various questions about SLIME and Limp. If your editor has a great editing environment for Lisp, I'll consider creating another.
... while I much prefer people to get in touch with the author (me) of Limp by posting to the forums/mailing lists (Google Groups) you get to by following the links at the very top of the documentation at http://mikael.jansson.be/hacking/limp/docs/ ...

Flatlander

Post by Flatlander » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 am

Looking good now :)