Thank you.

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.
findinglisp

Re: Thank you.

Post by findinglisp » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:31 pm

Unne wrote:This is great. I was just lamenting the other day the fact that there is no Common Lisp equivalent of ruby-forum.com or perlmonks or the great community sites other languages have. You're 100% correct that many people will come to a message board who wouldn't come to a mailing list. And comp.lang.lisp has been 75% spam about fake watches and shoes for the past six months anyways.

I hope this forum works, and that it remains newbie-friendly.
Excellent! This was exactly my thinking. I had been reading a bit on Ruby Forum for some other stuff I was working on and had that same thought regarding Lisp. Great minds things alike. :D
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/

vegard

Post by vegard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Hello fellow lispers and findinglisp. I just registered on this forum and so far it looks very promising, I'm relatively a newbie when it comes to Lisp, but I hope I get to experience some interesting discussions and learn lots of stuff. I have a couple of questions regarding phpbb though; Do you plan on implementing a more sophisticated code-tag, perhaps with keyword- (for each dialect) and paren-highlighting (something like paste.lisp.org, but designed for short snippets of code)? Consider this piece of Scheme:

Code: Select all

;; Filter
(define (filter pred? ls)
  (if (null? ls) '()
      (if (pred? (car ls))
          (cons (car ls)
                (filter pred? (cdr ls)))
          (filter pred? (cdr ls)))))

(filter positive? '(-42 1 3 -9/8 3/5))
I think having "define", "if", "null?", "car" and "cdr" bold green, the parentheses light gray, the commented line some light color, the background white and the rest black would be nice. This could/should be customizable from the control panel of course :)

And on to my second question: I see each reply in this forum has a subject line, is that really necessary? Almost all of them is going to be "Re: <original subject line>" anyway, seeing that this isn't Slashdot, with a hierarchal comment view, I think new subjects should have their own thread.

findinglisp

Post by findinglisp » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:46 pm

vegard, thanks for the input. I'll see what I can do on the syntax highlighting. Not sure if phpBB already has such a thing or not, but it's designed to be modular, so I'm sure something could be added if it doesn't exist already.

As for each reply having a subject, not sure why the forum does that, but it does. I agree that it's mostly annoying given that the basic forum structure is flat, not hierarchical. Personally, I like flat over hierarchical. Half the time on comp.lang.lisp, discussions drift far sideways under the original topic, way off course. It's my own feeling that having a flatter structure helps to curb that. If you want to discuss whatever, that's fine, just start a new topic and off you go. If you're 100 replies deep into another subject, however, I don't want you starting a crazy sideways thread. 8-)
Cheers, Dave

vegard

Post by vegard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:36 pm

findinglisp wrote:Personally, I like flat over hierarchical. Half the time on comp.lang.lisp, discussions drift far sideways under the original topic, way off course. It's my own feeling that having a flatter structure helps to curb that. If you want to discuss whatever, that's fine, just start a new topic and off you go. If you're 100 replies deep into another subject, however, I don't want you starting a crazy sideways thread. 8-)
My point exactly :)
Oh, by the way, this forum needs a cute alien or lambda favicon.

hilbertastronaut

Post by hilbertastronaut » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Forum looks good : - ) Easy on the eyes, except for the odd little smileys which old analog me will have to learn how to disable ;-P

I'll have to learn how to get RSS feeds out of a forum thread -- that would be most helpful.

Many thanks!
mfh

vegard

Post by vegard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:55 pm

hilbertastronaut wrote:Forum looks good : - ) Easy on the eyes, except for the odd little smileys which old analog me will have to learn how to disable ;-P
mfh
Ditto, disabling graphical smileys was the first thing I did after registering; text based ones aren't animated and some of them even uses parentheses :)

bubo

Post by bubo » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:07 pm

hi, everyone!

thanks for putting a lisp forum on the net (i am wondering, that nobody used the domain lispforum.com until now...). i am a newby to programming and decided the best languages to choose to be C and scheme (which led my ruby-programming friends to think, that i went totally nuts. but i like scheme a lot - it is fun!) . so thanks again for making a room for scheme! you really must excuse my bad english - i am austrian actually.

Conrad Barski has already made a great alien-like lisp logo, which really cracked me up, when i saw it the first time. you can it find here...

http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

bye! :D

vegard

Post by vegard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:12 pm

bubo wrote:Conrad Barski has already made a great alien-like lisp logo, which really cracked me up, when i saw it the first time. you can it find here...

http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
Ah, yes. I try to use the "may contain trace amounts of Lisp" one as much as I can ;·)

gwking

Post by gwking » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:06 am

My thanks to you as well; it's about time. Of course, there's something really sad that the software the forum is running on is PHP and not CL. I'm hopeful that that will become possible someday and I think that sites like this (and people like Dave Roberts) are what will make that so!

(love the logo by the way; how did you make it?)

findinglisp

Post by findinglisp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:03 am

gwking wrote:My thanks to you as well; it's about time. Of course, there's something really sad that the software the forum is running on is PHP and not CL. I'm hopeful that that will become possible someday and I think that sites like this (and people like Dave Roberts) are what will make that so!
Yea, it's just that all the PHP code is already written. No sense writing things over again just for the heck of it, IMO. That leaves us more time to write the really important stuff. :D
(love the logo by the way; how did you make it?)
I just took a screen cap of Emacs. Then I used GIMP to rotate the image a bit, then used the perspective tool to give it some depth. Then I cropped it to fit the space.
Cheers, Dave