Problems with allegro express and slime

Discussion of Common Lisp
janders468

Problems with allegro express and slime

Post by janders468 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi I have an issue when trying to set up slime for allegro express on ubuntu. When it loads it says that it cannot find package clc and instead of going to the slime listener it actually opens up allegro's ide. Does anyone know what a fix for this is? Thanks in advance.

Paul Donnelly

Re: Problems with allegro express and slime

Post by Paul Donnelly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:30 am

If I had to guess I'd say that the setup Ubuntu includes tries to load the CL parts of Slime using common-lisp-controller, but Allegro doesn't know where to find the files for it. I don't use Ubuntu, CLC, or ACL, so you might want to wait for someone who does.

dlweinreb

Post by dlweinreb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:26 am

I suggest asking Franz's support people. As long as you're paying for Allegro, you might as well take advantage of the fact that there's a company behind the product.

qbg

Post by qbg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:32 pm

janders468 wrote:Hi I have an issue when trying to set up slime for allegro express on ubuntu. When it loads it says that it cannot find package clc and instead of going to the slime listener it actually opens up allegro's ide. Does anyone know what a fix for this is? Thanks in advance.
clc is evil. I would uninstall SLIME/Swank, checkout SLIME from CVS, and do the needed symlinking and configuration file editing needed to use the SLIME you checked out and so that ASDF can load swank. That should give you a setup that doesn't depend on clc and should work.

janders468

Post by janders468 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks, Out of curiosity what is clc (evil or otherwise)?

Paul Donnelly

Post by Paul Donnelly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:29 am

janders468 wrote:Thanks, Out of curiosity what is clc (evil or otherwise)?
It's common-lisp-controller, a tool for installing packages on Debian and Gentoo systems. The idea is to make things easier, but I guess it's not as easy as all that.

dmitry_vk

Post by dmitry_vk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:46 am

Paul Donnelly wrote:
It's common-lisp-controller, a tool for installing packages on Debian and Gentoo systems. The idea is to make things easier, but I guess it's not as easy as all that.
Gentoo has not been using clc for a long time. It's using only asdf now.

Paul Donnelly

Post by Paul Donnelly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:23 pm

dmitry_vk wrote:
Paul Donnelly wrote:
Gentoo has not been using clc for a long time. It's using only asdf now.
I assumed that mean that it worked on Debian- and Gentoo-based systems, not that they were currently using it.