New library: cl-php

Discussion of Common Lisp
JamesF

New library: cl-php

Post by JamesF » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:43 pm

I've been promising this for ages, so it's time I got off my butt and published it. Partly, I've been stung into action by Gary King's post: http://metabang.com/unclogit/?p=389

The idea is to abstract away some of the lower-level stuff, so that writing web applications in Common Lisp can become as easy as writing them in PHP, which is currently a fair and valid criticism.
So far, it's been driven entirely by what's needed by the sites I've been writing, so it's only guaranteed to work on SBCL on Linux. There's an awful lot of error-resistance that needs adding, and it's currently totally without documentation or examples, but it's a start and you're welcome to play with it if you wish. It's under the LLGPL; while I'm willing to listen to arguments as to why that should be changed to, say, the BSD license, I'm very keen on the idea of the code staying free.

It's available from: http://www.electronic-quill.net/lisp/

Paul Donnelly

Re: New library: cl-php

Post by Paul Donnelly » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:11 pm

What relationship does it have to PHP?

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:05 pm

Paul Donnelly wrote:What relationship does it have to PHP?
The domain of web application development, and (in intention, at least) the ease of getting started, particularly wrt database connectivity. Beyond that, nothing whatsoever.

Methinks a name-change is in order; suggestions will be welcomed :)

Paul Donnelly

Post by Paul Donnelly » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:27 pm

JamesF wrote:
Paul Donnelly wrote:What relationship does it have to PHP?
The domain of web application development, and (in intention, at least) the ease of getting started, particularly wrt database connectivity. Beyond that, nothing whatsoever.
What I thought. How about LHP (LHP Hypertext Preprocessor)? :|

It's great to see a modern library ecosystem appearing around CL.

mijokijo

Post by mijokijo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Woah woah hey woah!

What about CL-ROR? 8-)

If you are looking for a recursive acronym as proposed above, how about CL-LNP (LNP is no PHP)?

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:24 pm

Paul Donnelly wrote:How about LHP (LHP Hypertext Preprocessor)?
I'd go for that if I were mixing lisp in with HTML markup, but that's more what CL-EMB (http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-emb/) does. I haven't tried that library yet, but it could well be feasible to add it to this one and get something that lived up to the name LHP much more closely.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:28 pm

mijokijo wrote:What about CL-ROR?
Oddly enough, I'm vaguely tempted to head in that direction; could be an interesting counterpoint to Lisp on Lines.
mijokijo wrote:What about CL-ROR?
If you are looking for a recursive acronym as proposed above, how about CL-LNP (LNP is no PHP)?[/quote]
That could work, though I honestly do think the world is amply supplied with recursive acronyms.

I'm actually tempted to follow in the traditions of Napster and Bibble, and name it Elizabeth, after one of our cats (I've already split out two separate libraries called Edgar and Oscar in the same way).