Is there any Library for Feed-Parsing

Discussion of Common Lisp
schoppenhauer

Is there any Library for Feed-Parsing

Post by schoppenhauer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:36 am

Hello.

I am looking for some Library to parse RSS- and Atom-Feeds. The only good thing I've found yet was some Python-Library named "feedparser" (feedparser.org), which is good, and which I could maybe include to Common Lisp, but I actually do not want to combine Python and Common Lisp (and do not want to learn python). There are also some Libraries for Java, but these seem not to be very handy.
Is there anything like this for Common Lisp, maybe written natively in Common Lisp?

kroger

Re: Is there any Library for Feed-Parsing

Post by kroger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:00 am

I'm sure there is something out there, but why not use one of the many xml parsers for lisp?

http://wiki.alu.org/XML_Parser_Libraries

you can use drakma to download the feeds.

pedro

schoppenhauer

Post by schoppenhauer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:15 am

As far as I have read the Standards are very complex even though you can parse XML. I.e. there are many Elements to know, etc.
Sorry for my bad english.
Visit my blog http://blog.uxul.de/

dmitry_vk

Post by dmitry_vk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:03 pm

There is a cl-rss package in gentoo and debian.

schoppenhauer

Post by schoppenhauer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks. I will try it, but it needs aserve and ... as far as debian sais, it only supports RSS .9x
Sorry for my bad english.
Visit my blog http://blog.uxul.de/

xach

Post by xach » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 am

For Planet Lisp, I wrote a short Python program that loads feeds with the Universal Feed Parser and writes out files of sexps representing their contents. Then a Lisp program puts the HTML pages together.

ramarren

Post by ramarren » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:21 pm

I am reviving quite an old thread, but perhaps this will become useful to someone:

Recently I became interested in the so called Semantic Web, which led me to Redland library, one component of which is Raptor parser, which claims to parse "RSS tag soup including all versions of RSS, Atom 1.0 and 0.3". Of course, it parses them into RDF, but it is really well suited for that sort of thing (although I suppose using Redland just for feed parsing is a bit of an overkill...).

I have written basic bindings for Redland: cffi-redland. I have no actual project to use it for, so I have no motivation to exhaustively test it at this time (especially string memory ownership worries me), but if someone was to use them I could probably work on those a bit more.