non-linear list conversion to linear

Discussion of Common Lisp
qbg

Re: non-linear list conversion to linear

Post by qbg » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:42 pm

findinglisp wrote:
VincentToups wrote:If you can't depend on it and you want to be cross-implementation, then it basically isn't supported. This is a whole other can of worms, though.
Yup. See also: threading, sockets, unicode, etc. ;) This is why we need to come up with a CLv2.
A de facto or community-driven standard composed of compatibility layers and perhaps some libraries would probably be a more realistic approach for now.

VincentToups

Post by VincentToups » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Just use Clojure.
Seriously.

findinglisp

Post by findinglisp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:51 pm

qbg wrote:
findinglisp wrote:
VincentToups wrote:If you can't depend on it and you want to be cross-implementation, then it basically isn't supported. This is a whole other can of worms, though.
Yup. See also: threading, sockets, unicode, etc. ;) This is why we need to come up with a CLv2.
A de facto or community-driven standard composed of compatibility layers and perhaps some libraries would probably be a more realistic approach for now.
Yes, agreed. I wasn't suggesting anything more heavyweight than that.
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/

lnostdal

Post by lnostdal » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:56 am

VincentToups wrote:Just use Clojure.
Seriously.
I wouldn't want to miss out on all the goodies in Common Lisp; CLOS, MOP etc. is awesome stuff -- and the SBCL compiler and the integration with Slime is very good.

SBCL has "threading, sockets, unicode, etc.", and it also has FSet: http://common-lisp.net/project/fset/

Having Lisp all the way down (well, almost -- the GC-stuff is in C) is also very cool. I can keep pressing M-. M-. M-. and end up in the SBCL internals (Lisp code!) when I want to know what's going on.

Scott mentions on c.l.l. he's making a new release of FSet this weekend.

VincentToups

Post by VincentToups » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:10 am

I admit, that CL has a lot of great stuff (CLOS/MOP is really excellent), and Lisp all the way down is nice too, but I am tired if fighting with different implementations, libraries that won't compile, and old/esoteric design.

Clojure is clean, functional, and has a large library set which "just works" - it is by far the most painless Lisp I've ever worked with, if you can get used to the purely functional data types (you can, just use them like lists) and live temporarily without tail recursion (you can recur, of course, and regular old recursion is fine, it just will explode at some point).

This is off topic, though.