How to prepare for learning Lisp off-line?

You have problems, and we're glad to hear them. Explain the problem, what you have tried, and where you got stuck.
Feel free to share a little info on yourself and the course.
Forum rules
Please respect your teacher's guidelines. Homework is a learning tool. If we just post answers, we aren't actually helping. When you post questions, be sure to show what you have tried or what you don't understand.
Malice

How to prepare for learning Lisp off-line?

Post by Malice » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:38 am

Tomorrow I will go on trip to Italy. I will only have my laptop with elementaryOS 32-bit running. I will most likely have no Internet connection. I decided, that I would like to spend my free time there to learn Lisp.
I installed emacs, sbcl and slime, but I'm not really sure how sbcl works, and I'm worried that if I have to do something a little bit more complicated, I will require someone's help from web, and I won't have it there.
I've also found and downloaded 2 free lisp books - [Common Lisp - An Interactive Approach][1] and [Common Lisp - A Gentle Introduction To Symbolic Computation][2]. I hope that these will be enough.

I have C++ programming background, but with C++ it looks simpler to me - we have standard that defines what should compiler have, we have few compilers that are used most(G++, clang, MSVC++), and since I know how to compile, it isn't hard to me anymore. Also, for beginners, there are IDE that compile code for you. Lisp, afaik, has no defined standard. Also, I don't know it, so I don't really know how to compile its code.

Question is: what should I install to have it running there? What materials should I take to be self-sufficient? I would be glad if you could provide me with link to some tutorial on how to compile my first code - I want to test it before I go(simple "hello, world" would be sufficient).

Thanks in advance

[1]: http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~shapiro/Com ... onLisp.pdf
[2]: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/book.pdf

Akira22

Re: How to prepare for learning Lisp off-line?

Post by Akira22 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:47 am

Thanks for this great info.. Interested to read such type of articles.