mixing dialects?

Discussion of other Lisp dialects (Arc, Clojure, AutoLisp, XLISP, etc.)
subhuman

mixing dialects?

Post by subhuman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:39 pm

hi @all,

i am a complete noob concerning lisp, except that from the few pages of documentation i've been reading so far it may well be a rather good choice as language for the idea i'm carrying around with me. the thing is that the resulting application would require some sort of gui - for which purpose i chose gtk+. now all i've found out so far is that the dialect provided by rep provides gtk+ bindings. however, as for various reasons, i would prefer writing the code in common lisp. is it, in general, possible to mix several dialects? and if, how could i achieve it?

i certainly don't ask for a complete solution, but at least some hints to places where i can find a respective documentation and/ or tutorial i would highly appreciate.

many thx in advance
sub

ramarren

Re: mixing dialects?

Post by ramarren » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:57 pm

Languages in Lisp language family are very different, and it is not usually any easier to mix them than any other language. I do not think it is even useful to try in most circumstances.
subhuman wrote:now all i've found out so far is that the dialect provided by rep provides gtk+ bindings. however, as for various reasons, i would prefer writing the code in common lisp.
I don't understand. There are several GTK+ bindings for Common Lisp, like cells-gtk or cl-gtk2, so if you want to write the code in CL, the just do it. There are not other dialects necessary.

subhuman

Post by subhuman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 am

seems as if debian isn't much lisp-a-lized, is it? i'll have to install cl-gtk2 manually. anyway, many thx for the links.

ramarren

Post by ramarren » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

subhuman wrote:seems as if debian isn't much lisp-a-lized, is it? i'll have to install cl-gtk2 manually. anyway, many thx for the links.
The support for Common Lisp libraries among distributions is generally weak for a number of reasons. Even if there are libraries in their repositories, they are usually very old versions. It is generally recommended to install them externally, possibly using something like clbuild. There is also a set of base libraries at LibCL.

dmitry_vk

Post by dmitry_vk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:11 am

subhuman wrote:seems as if debian isn't much lisp-a-lized, is it? i'll have to install cl-gtk2 manually. anyway, many thx for the links.
The only Lisp-friendly Linux distributive is Gentoo at the moment. Usually, Gentoo contains latest versions of most Lisp libraries.

Harleqin

Post by Harleqin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:21 am

dmitry_vk wrote:
The only Lisp-friendly Linux distributive is Gentoo at the moment. Usually, Gentoo contains latest versions of most Lisp libraries.
Yes, with the lisp overlay.
"Just throw more hardware at it" is the root of all evil.
Svante

subhuman

Post by subhuman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:26 pm

@Ramarren
wow, many thx for the links. coming from perl and c actually lisp is like wandering through mist for me. so your post was one helping hand.