Help with choosing an implementation, compiler and libraries

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.
kukka

Help with choosing an implementation, compiler and libraries

Post by kukka » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Hello.

I'm a big noob when it comes to lisping. I'm reading SICP (I'm around the late chapter 3), and I'm eager to get started with my own projects. I've been using DrScheme for the exercises.

I've been googling around for a couple days and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for an envirounment that matches the following criteria:
- easy, simple, lightweight
- possibly R5RS
- compiles into a neat and clean standalone executable
- a library for file I/O and keyboard input
- a library for doing graphics on the simplest level. All I really need from a library is the ability to open a black window and draw pixels on it with a simple API like (set-window-dimensions 640 480) and (draw-pixel x-coordinate y-coordinate RGB-color)

I don't need any cutting edge technology, just something simple that works out of the box.
What little I've found on google I've tried on Windows with negative experiences. Either they're too complex for my needs, or they don't work at all (possibly because I'm on Win7). If things are simpler on UNIX (which they probably are) then I'm willing to transfer, but for this I need your encouragement first :)

I really miss the simplicity of QBasic back in the 90's, the way the same package came with an extensive manual, an intepreter and a solid compiler and everything worked the first time you tried it. Obviously I never want to touch any BASIC derivative ever again, since I'm madly in love with functional programming and the lisp-notation, but still, I miss the easyness.

Any ideas?

nuntius

Re: Help with choosing an implementation, compiler and libraries

Post by nuntius » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:51 am

I think you want to install Racket (the new system for DrScheme). AFAICT, it is the best batteries-included scheme available.