Average Lisp age?

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.
Kohath

Re: Average Lisp age?

Post by Kohath » Sun May 23, 2010 9:13 pm

27yrs. Finished my PhD in applied maths and started a new job in mid/late 2006, where a colleague gave me a printout of http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html, even though he wasn't a programmer. Learned Common Lisp as a hobby and have also used it a bit at work. Maths and Lisp must mix well. :)

copec

Post by copec » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:58 am

29yrs. I'm still an undergrad student in Mathematics and kind of had a late start. Mostly I've decided I'm really interested in cognitive science and have been learning a lot of various subjects directly and indirectly connected. I actually really enjoy programming although I'm not much good at it--I don't have the patience to sit and explore small elements of some language that I see in great programmers.

SigmaX

Post by SigmaX » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:59 am

22 years this weekend.

Learned the basics in Lisp for class a couple years ago, but recently started using it for real in a research internship (definitely learned a lot more that way than I did in class). I'm about to finish a Math+CS double-degree, and I find functional programming elegant.

AI is my world, and while the sort of AI Lisp was developed/used for back in the day is more or less dead, code=data can still come in handy for, say, genetic programming.

Siggy

huangho

Post by huangho » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm 19. I learned some Scheme for a CS class last year, and fell in love with functional programming. (Even my C code is full of higher-order functions since then.) I have been playing with Haskell for some time, and finally met Common Lisp about two months ago. So far, Common Lisp is the language I like best. I still haven't written anything large in it, though.

Frisco

Post by Frisco » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:13 pm

At the time of the post above, I was 18, but 19 now.
I'm struggling to learn Lisp as a Freshman in college because of an interest in AI and an intense dislike of the highly-structured BS that is C++.

trillioneyes

Post by trillioneyes » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:36 pm

I am 16 (!). I started learning lisp (with PCL) when I was... 15? Maybe 14, but almost certainly 15. But then I went back to Python until my friend showed me how cool Lisp was (I already knew it was pretty cool, but also I thought it was too complicated for me; turns out it's not). Now I'm not sure I could go back to Python. (Also, it seems I am tied to Common Lisp a bit more than I'd like to be; I've read a bit of Scheme and Arc and the expressions-in-function-position still trip me up a bit. :oops:)

skunkape

Post by skunkape » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 am

Whats up guys. I'm 29 years old and really starting to take an interest in the Common Lisp programming language. I programmed QBASIC and a little C++ when I was a teenager but got bored with it after awhile, got bored with computers in general, however after watching some Lisp videos and reading about the language and doing some coding myself, I'm starting to get excited about programming again. I really love how this language operates, seems so fluid and intuitive.

simplynitaai

Post by simplynitaai » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:10 am

hi all

i am new to this forum. i am 29. i learned scheme in the first year at the university. it was an one year course and it taught me a lot about programming. after nearly 10 years i came back to it as i wanted to do some basic programming exercises just for fun (i am not really a programmer, but like learning it). it makes fun the same way as it did 10 years ago. i like the parenthesis style and the brevity of code. i started to learn common lisp shortly ago. it seems to be a bit more difficult than scheme, but also seems that it has more power to some extent (correct me if i am wrong). i think lisp is the language, by learning which one get to know what is actually possible in programming world. it seems to be a very powerful language and at the same time so simple and easy to learn. at least scheme, it is actually the only language which i am able to write some small programs in. i learned some java inbetween, but scheme/lisp makes more fun and learning it is "a better food for my intellect".

yours, simplynitaai

giga-bite

Post by giga-bite » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:32 am

I'm only 13. An absolute beginning Lisper, but I'm only 13! Beat that! That will mess up your average. 8-)

denis

Post by denis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:30 am

Hi guys (and girls)!

Hm, if you reverse the numbers in the giga-bite's age you'll get mine :-) I'm 31 and some time ago started to learn Lisp

Years ago I coded something in C++ and then in Java (J2EE), after that I had a period of activity that was not related much to programming. But now I have regained to the idea that coding and collaboration in open source projects must be better than the fuss I all the time experience here in Russia. So I would like to get used to such powerful language as Lisp and do contributions in projects related to AL (artificial life) or make my own.