Average Lisp age?

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.
Jonsul

Average Lisp age?

Post by Jonsul » Fri May 07, 2010 3:11 pm

I think I'm what you'd call a young lisper, I'm 21. I'm not learning lisp for college our anything, but for personal reasons. Long story short, I seem to understand what seems like fringe languages over mainstream ones like C/C++. (Shame the lisp scene isn't bigger then it should be) I think I just think differently then normal people and don't like languages that force me to do things someone else's way. Reason why I won't touch any kind of C any more, learned some in a class and hated it.

So anyways I love lisp a lot! and am interested if there are any other young guys like me out there. Also I'd really like to hear how people were introduced to lisp and why. :D

lithos

Re: Average Lisp age?

Post by lithos » Fri May 07, 2010 5:38 pm

I turned 22 a few days ago :D

I started learning Lisp because some quotes or another said I'd have a near godly revelation in time and would end up a better programmer for it :lol: I had a few interesting sparks where I saw you didn't "need" to do things that have to be done so much they're habit(XML, design patterns, and needing to write SOO much code before you can actually test it) and got to have some fun parts where I got to compare logic.

Then I got bored with it because it's was annoying to use lisp outside of the lisp environment(want to use a GUI sort through abandon-ware and hope you're using the right flavor of lisp, want to use it as your web language you get 'moar' reasons to moan).

Now I'm back because the next project I want to work on will require A LOT of scripting, and I just don't have the patience for lots of scripting.

TheGZeus

Post by TheGZeus » Fri May 07, 2010 6:09 pm

lithos wrote:I turned 22 a few days ago :D

I started learning Lisp because some quotes or another said I'd have a near godly revelation in time and would end up a better programmer for it :lol: I had a few interesting sparks where I saw you didn't "need" to do things that have to be done so much they're habit(XML, design patterns, and needing to write SOO much code before you can actually test it) and got to have some fun parts where I got to compare logic.

Then I got bored with it because it's was annoying to use lisp outside of the lisp environment(want to use a GUI sort through abandon-ware and hope you're using the right flavor of lisp, want to use it as your web language you get 'moar' reasons to moan).

Now I'm back because the next project I want to work on will require A LOT of scripting, and I just don't have the patience for lots of scripting.
Well, it's not (common) lisp, but I'm somewhat part of a project that's working towards a full Qt4 binding set for (currently Gambit) scheme.
sqeme.sf.net
if you're at all interested...

TheGZeus

Post by TheGZeus » Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Oh, and I'm 28. Glad to see other (and even younger) lispers out there.
I'm not much of a programmer, but I gravitate towards programmable programs (emacs, stumpwm, conkeror(soon minno)) and I do use that facility.

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Fri May 07, 2010 7:22 pm

I guess lispforum.com forums is full of young dogs. I'm 23 :)

I use Lisp only as a hobby. I'm not a professional programmer in any sense, I lack many of the concepts usually familiar among programmers and I know nothing more than basic C (I look at a C program and just wonder what the hell is wrong with the programmer :D just joking) and perhaps shell (just simple stuff, I don't even know how to create a makefile :?).

I like the way Lisp works, specially the abstraction and pattern-recognition that comes with macros. I am a student in mathematics (gonna get a master's degree by the end of this year) and sometimes I feel math and Lisp abstractions are very similar. But I still prefer math, though.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Fri May 07, 2010 7:26 pm

I am 25. I learned lisp when looking for better languages after feeling restricted with Cs, and C++s compiler whinage. An article about code=data and XML pushed me to learn lisp.

However, i do feel that the barrier between languages is often an rather arbitrary one. We can already import C very straightforwardly, but imo maybe we should do that automatically more, and properly maintained libs to do this seem scarce. We should probably do similar to Python. With easy access to those two, it would make being fringe not hurt much.

And we're not communicative enough it seems.

Edit: I don't really know how to make a Makefile either, i copied and altered very simple ones, otherwise i just use little scripts. I don't get how they get complicated, i don't get that they sometimes seem to have scripts to make makefiles. I guess it might be similar to the ASDF complexities we have, but on a bigger scale.

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Sat May 08, 2010 6:16 am

Jasper wrote:And we're not communicative enough it seems.
Well, I agree. But that is what this forum is for, isn't it? :D Unfortunately, this forum can't speak for all Lispers. One think that I miss is more collaborative projects like elephant or weblocks. I think we, users of this forum, could and should do some Lisp project as a group. Not sure what, though.

Jonsul

Post by Jonsul » Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 am

gugamilare wrote:
Jasper wrote:And we're not communicative enough it seems.
Well, I agree. But that is what this forum is for, isn't it? :D Unfortunately, this forum can't speak for all Lispers. One think that I miss is more collaborative projects like elephant or weblocks. I think we, users of this forum, could and should do some Lisp project as a group. Not sure what, though.
Agreed! All us young ones :D

Had an idea a while back to mix emacs+slime and standard IDE features with an original gui so that there would be less of an emacs barrier. Was waiting till I'm done with my current project though till I tackled that.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 pm

TheGZeus wrote:Oh, and I'm 28
You're the only poster so far who's been alive longer than I've been Lisping :(

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Mon May 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Jonsul wrote:Agreed! All us young ones :D

Had an idea a while back to mix emacs+slime and standard IDE features with an original gui so that there would be less of an emacs barrier. Was waiting till I'm done with my current project though till I tackled that.
You can try helping the enhancement of Able.