Original Lisp Eliza added to Eliza Gen collection

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.
jshrager

Original Lisp Eliza added to Eliza Gen collection

Post by jshrager » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:42 pm

With the permission and assistance of the author himself, Bernie Cosell, I have added the original Lisp Eliza to the Eliza Generations collection. Cosell wrote this Lisp version of Eliza at BBN in the mid-late 1960s. (Weizenbaum’s original was written in about 1966 in SLIP, a long-dead Fortran-based symbol processing package.)

See: http://elizagen.org/index.html

Thanks to Peter Seibel for connecting me with Bernie Cosell.

!!YOU CAN HELP!!

One way that you can help is by writing to Deborah Cotton ([email protected]) at the ACM permissions office and encourage them to open source Weizenbaum’s paper, which is still inaccessible under copyright protections.

Second, I’m hoping to create a “perfect” OCR of this code and then macrify it to run in a modern Lisp with as little modification as possible. You can help create the codebase for this by choosing a single page at random from among the 48 TIFFs, manually entering the code as precisely as possible (including indentation) into a text file, and then emailing it to me: [email protected]. If you decided to do this, here are a few details worth attending to: So that we get good coverage, please really choose a TIFF file at random, e.g., via the moral equivalent of (1+ (random 48)). Please don’t just OCR the TIFF file; I’ve already tried this with very high end OCR tools, and they make terrible encodings of this sort of thing! It would help me do the reconstruction if you put the name of the TIFF file in a leading comment. Finally, if you would like to be explicitly acknowledged for your efforts, please include a comment line for yourself as well. The codebase will be released on github or some such public location. Then you’ll be able to help actually hack it!

Finally, if you know of open source Elizas, in any language, roaming around the net, please send me links to them so that I can update the “more recent” section of the page.

Thanks!

Cheers,
‘Jeff

findinglisp

Re: Original Lisp Eliza added to Eliza Gen collection

Post by findinglisp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Very cool. One of the first programs I studied in my college AI class was Eliza. :)
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/

sylwester

Post by sylwester » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Code: Select all

(DEFINEQ
  (RPLQQ
    (NLAMBDA RPLQ
       (RPLACD (CAR RPLQ)
          (CDR RPLQ))))) ; can't really tell if it's car or cdr but car would make a loop
Based on this sniplet and Kent Pitman's paper on special forms I guess it's programmed in Interlisp. I'm not too familiar with it but I tink this NLAMBDA is just for autoquoting the arguments and result isn't really evaluated like a flambda.
I'm the author of two useless languages that uses BF as target machine.
Currently I'm planning a Scheme compiler :p

saulgoode

Post by saulgoode » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:33 am

The transcription is apparently complete and the text files made available on Github.

A clisp version by Peter De Wachter, Matt Niemeir, and Jeff Shrager is also available for download.