Package dependencies

Discussion of Common Lisp
inexperienced

Package dependencies

Post by inexperienced » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Is there a commonly used set of package dependencies in the comon lisp community? Maybe *no package dependency* is the standard? Or is there no common approach used by most lisp developers?

I ask because I am running into a compile-time package-locked-error. And this got me thinking about common or standard practices.

Thanks!!

nuntius

Re: Package dependencies

Post by nuntius » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:21 pm

People are working on it. The current leader is Quicklisp.

I view package dependencies as a moderately good thing. They indicate you are no longer writing low-level code, but are actually reusing parts to write something interesting.

Kompottkin

Post by Kompottkin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:41 am

First you should make sure that you understand the distinction between packages (which are basically namespaces for symbols) and systems (which are what you would call “modules” in some other languages).

In order to grok problems that have one or more of the words “package”, “import”, and “symbol” in them, I strongly recommend reading Ron Garret's Complete Idiot's Guide to Common Lisp Packages. I have found it to be very useful.

inexperienced

Post by inexperienced » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 am

Thanks for the pointer to the Idiot's Guide! It was extremely helpful. I will relook at the problem with my new found perspective on packages.
:)

findinglisp

Post by findinglisp » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Kompottkin wrote:In order to grok problems that have one or more of the words “package”, “import”, and “symbol” in them, I strongly recommend reading Ron Garret's Complete Idiot's Guide to Common Lisp Packages. I have found it to be very useful.
Highly, highly recommended. I never really grok'd packages until I read that.
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/