Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm
This topic is a list of Frequently Asked Questions for the Common Lisp. Please submit suggestions for improved content, and we will edit this first post. Questions and discussion belong in other topics.
- Practical Common Lisp is one of the best introductory books
- Dan Weinreb's CL Survey is a good overview of the available implementations (compilers), online books, tutorials, etc.
- As of late 2010, Clozure CL is a good default choice for linux, mac, and windows. Learn CL then look at the others to see their advantages.
- The Common Lisp Hyperspec is an online version of the ANSI language standard.
- The Common Lisp Quick Reference is a summary of all standard CL functions.
- The Slime plugin for Emacs is currently dominant among free software users. If you don't know emacs, go through the built-in tutorial first. (See also viper-mode for vi users.)
- Vi users may prefer VIlisp or another tool linked on that page.
- Eclipse users may prefer the CUSP plugin
- Franz Allegro CL and LispWorks both come with built-in IDEs.
- Quicklisp is the latest/best "download on demand" library for CL.
- Many libraries are hosted on Common-Lisp.net and described on Cliki.net or CL-User.net.
- Don't post links that look like spam.
- Homework smells like homework. Demonstrate some effort (post some code or cite a section in PCL) and you are much more likely to get help.
- For many "how do I" questions, we need to know the implementation and/or editor you are using. Also try their user email lists for very implementation-specific questions.
- Format code snippets using
Code: Select all
tags or post them on [url=http://paste.lisp.org/]Lisppaste[/url].[/list] Other sources of information: [list] [*] the front page of the [url=http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/]CL Cookbook[/url] has a large section entitled "Other online sources of CL information" [*] [url=http://wiki.alu.org/]ALU Wiki[/url] [*] [url=http://lisper.ru/forum/common-lisp]Russian web forum[/url] [*] [url=http://www.lispniks.com/faq/faq.html]Lispniks FAQ[/url] [*] [url=http://random-state.net/files/nikodemus-cl-faq.txt]Nikodemus' FAQ[/url][/list]