The Horrible State of the Cliki

Discussion of Common Lisp
schoppenhauer

The Horrible State of the Cliki

Post by schoppenhauer » Tue May 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Just one question: Is anyone still maintaining the Cliki? I always liked it, but seems like asdf has become less interesting (maybe because more people use clbuild instead), and maybe because of this it also became less interesting. Anyway, looking at http://www.cliki.net/Lisp-Tk I just wondered ...
Sorry for my bad english.
Visit my blog http://blog.uxul.de/

nuntius

Re: The Horrible State of the Cliki

Post by nuntius » Tue May 18, 2010 7:38 pm

AIUI, drewc is trying to organize people on #lisp to rework the cliki code, if that's your question.

As for content, all documents age; the internet's fast pace only makes that worse. As with other wikis, cliki relies on its readership to keep the content up-to-date. Some of these old links might be viewable on the Internet Archive.

If you're looking for a good Tk binding, I would recommend LTK. It is pretty easy to use. Ken Tilton has also rolled a binding or two for Tk; he tends to prefer the CFFI route over the interprocess communication used by LTK.

Not exactly sure how asdf enters the mix wrt cliki. Maybe you mean that asdf-install is less popular than clbuild, hence cliki isn't maintained as well? AIUI, asdf-install was never the main purpose of cliki.

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Tue May 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Cliki is maintained by the community. As for asdf-install, it is pretty much let aside for now, people prefer to either use clbuild or extract the libraries themselves. Some (apparently) dead projects still remain in CLiki, which is usually bad, but sometimes you may find something interesting, although unmaintained.

If you are looking for Tk bindings: Ltk.

schoppenhauer

Post by schoppenhauer » Tue May 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Actually I am using LTK but was looking for an alternative. Not that I dont like LTK (its a nice and small and basically the best UI-Binding one gets for CL by now), I dont even mind that its not an FFI-Binding, but I dont want to have to depend on external files (as far as thats possible). I am currently also looking for some way of hard-linking against Libraries using CL, but seems like the only possibility so far would be ECL.

On the other hand, for external applications, maybe some mainstream-stuff like python would be better (i.e. using PyGTK through a Python-REPL), I was actually thinking about using such a thing instead.

Anyway, this is another topic which should certainly be discussed in an own thread. Thanks anyway.
Sorry for my bad english.
Visit my blog http://blog.uxul.de/

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Wed May 19, 2010 1:43 am

I added a link to better cliki pages from Lisp-Tk.

Maybe cliki pages need discussion bits? People sometimes have something to say, but don't feel the article page is appropriate. I was also thinking of listing CL functions/improvement points in there aswel, with a section 'this could be better' at the end. I guess what we have will do, but the regular wiki software does seem pretty good to me, why not use that?

Also, does it seem to you that the cliki search sometimes returns nothing when it aught to find something?

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Wed May 19, 2010 6:05 am

I'm sorry, I don't seem to understand what you are suggesting. You mean we should join our forces and enhance Cliki's pages one by one? Or put more information in there? What do you mean by "listing CL functions/improvement points"?

Enhancing or maintaining Cliki sounds like a good idea.

As for the search engine, we can only change it with access to the server.

BTW, Now is the first time I saw that you can actually download Cliki's code.