Defining a lexically scoped function.

Discussion of Common Lisp
Jesdisciple

Re: Defining a lexically scoped function.

Post by Jesdisciple » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am

Oh, OK. I think I need to start a list of macros to be written... Thanks again. :)
I'm off my grokker.
- Chris

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 pm

It might be best to back up a bit: this whole discussion has been about implementation details.

What is it that you're trying to do? It may be that you're unwittingly trying to write Javascript in Lisp; while that can be done if you really must, the languages are pretty wildly different - the JS approach may involve a workaround to a limitation that CL doesn't have. It could well be that you're better off with a different solution altogether in CL. Could you describe the actual problem at hand? We can look over that, and suggest good approaches that leverage this language's strengths.

Jesdisciple

Post by Jesdisciple » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 am

Lol, how'd you guess? I'm wittingly implementing the JS object-model in CL, as an exercise. And I'm almost done; I only need to implement inheritance and, non-essentially, functions. After that I might start simplifying it by removing all JS functions including constructors, and maybe even look into avoiding destructive operations (probably impossible).
I'm off my grokker.
- Chris