UTF-8 in LISP

Discussion of Common Lisp
harbinger

UTF-8 in LISP

Post by harbinger » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30 am

Greetings Lispers

Pleas can anyone explain or teach me how to use UTF-8 characters in lisp, while making GUI. for example I am a GEORGIAN and my native letters are :
ა,ბ,გ,დ,ე,ვ,ზ,თ,ი,კ,ლ,მ.... and so on. Are there any solution about it?

Thanks for attention :geek:

Goheeca

Re: UTF-8 in LISP

Post by Goheeca » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Many lisp implementations support unicode characters in strings so you should look around libraries of this kind: trivial-utf-8, babel.
cl-2dsyntax is my attempt to create a Python-like reader. My mirror of CLHS (and the dark themed version). Temporary mirrors of aferomentioned: CLHS and a dark version.

sylwester

Post by sylwester » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:22 am

I'm the author of two useless languages that uses BF as target machine.
Currently I'm planning a Scheme compiler :p

harbinger

Post by harbinger » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:40 am

I will investigate this one and I'll see what can I implement.
Goheeca wrote:Many lisp implementations support unicode characters in strings so you should look around libraries of this kind: trivial-utf-8, babel.
are there other libraries for NON LINUX user. I am heavily using WINDOWS platform.

Goheeca

Post by Goheeca » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:05 am

Trivial UTF-8 was written before Babel existed, but for new projects you might be better off going with Babel. The one plus that Trivial UTF-8 has is that it doesn't depend on any other libraries.
Babel is a charset encoding/decoding library, not unlike GNU libiconv, but completely written in Common Lisp.
There should be no problem and if you're struggling with the installation, look here at Quicklisp.
cl-2dsyntax is my attempt to create a Python-like reader. My mirror of CLHS (and the dark themed version). Temporary mirrors of aferomentioned: CLHS and a dark version.

harbinger

Post by harbinger » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:16 am

Goheeca wrote:
Trivial UTF-8 was written before Babel existed, but for new projects you might be better off going with Babel. The one plus that Trivial UTF-8 has is that it doesn't depend on any other libraries.
Babel is a charset encoding/decoding library, not unlike GNU libiconv, but completely written in Common Lisp.
There should be no problem and if you're struggling with the installation, look here at Quicklisp.

I'll check it.