Perl's qw as a macro

Discussion of Common Lisp
Kwaltee

Perl's qw as a macro

Post by Kwaltee » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:06 am

I am trying (again) to wrap my head around macros. As an exercise, I am trying to write Perl's qw function as a macro.

(qw this is a test) should expand to '("this" "is" "a" "test")

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty getting at the words in the form. Lisp keeps looking for a symbol called "this" or "a" and not finding it. I'd appreciate some pointers that will move me in the right direction, as I've managed to so confuse myself that I don't even know where to start looking any more.

Thanks

nuntius

Re: Perl's qw as a macro

Post by nuntius » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 pm

You could type in your output as (list "this" "is" "a" "test")

You can use FORMAT to convert a symbol or number or whatever into a string.

So your macro should return a list of 'list followed by the strings.

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Kwaltee wrote:I am trying (again) to wrap my head around macros. As an exercise, I am trying to write Perl's qw function as a macro.

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty getting at the words in the form. Lisp keeps looking for a symbol called "this" or "a" and not finding it. I'd appreciate some pointers that will move me in the right direction, as I've managed to so confuse myself that I don't even know where to start looking any more.

Thanks
Use either string or symbol-name to transform a symbol into a string. The rest shouldn't be too hard ;)

Kwaltee

Post by Kwaltee » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:35 am

Here's what I have so far:

(defmacro qw (&rest r)
"Mimic perl's qw function"
(cons 'list
(iter (for s in r)
(collect (string s)))))

The only problem with that is it upcases the string, and I don't want that. Symbols are always uppercase, so maybe this is unavoidable, but I keep thinking there has to be a way to fix it.

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:25 am

The symbol's name is by default uppercase. If you want symbols with different behaviour, you have to use the || markers. For instance:

Code: Select all

(intern "FOO") => foo
(intern "foo") => |foo|
'|FOO| => foo
'|FoO| => |FoO|
Either use string-downcase or put || around your symbols to make them lowercase.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Code: Select all

(defun downcase-symbol-name (symbol)
  (string-downcase (symbol-name symbol)))
(defun downcase-symbol-name-list (symbol-list)
  (mapcar #'downcase-symbol-name symbol-list))
You can find stuff like this here, or better, add a search keyword for your browser to this search. Of course going from documentation to using/understanding the functions is a skill on itself, so feel free to keep asking :).

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:08 pm

Kwaltee wrote:I am trying (again) to wrap my head around macros. As an exercise, I am trying to write Perl's qw function as a macro.

You can't do what you're trying to do.

Well, obviously, you can, but it won't be what you want. The reader has already converted the characters into symbols; using format, or princ-to-string, etc., to turn them back into strings is just wrong...and will break easily - don't do it. You can use a reader macro, but you probably don't want to name it "(" :)

Kwaltee

Post by Kwaltee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:42 am

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks much.

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:26 am

Paul wrote:

You can't do what you're trying to do.

Well, obviously, you can, but it won't be what you want. The reader has already converted the characters into symbols; using format, or princ-to-string, etc., to turn them back into strings is just wrong...and will break easily - don't do it. You can use a reader macro, but you probably don't want to name it "(" :)
There is no problem of him trying to do it, since it is an exercise.

Kwaltee

Post by Kwaltee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:37 am

It was an exercise, true, but I actually have a use for it in mind. As a learning exercise, this was good. As a path to making a portion of my program easier to read, not so much! Thanks to all who provided guidance. I appreciate your taking the time.