SBCL Problem using Eclipse/Cusp

Discussion of Common Lisp
sssaml3

SBCL Problem using Eclipse/Cusp

Post by sssaml3 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:09 am

Hello everyone.

I'm experiencing an odd problem with the SBCL whenever I do pretty much anything in a Lisp Project in Eclipse. The SBCL disconnects quite frequently - after about 15 seconds (on average) of being connected, each time. I am running Fedora 10 on my PC.

The steps I usually go through whenever I want to work in Lisp are:

1. Start up Eclipse (sometimes takes quite a while due to the plugins for Lisp and the SBCL)

2. Change perspective to Lisp

3. File -> New -> Lisp Project. I type in the name of the project and click Finish. Assume I've created a project named Test. I am presented with four files:
* defpackage.lisp
* main.lisp
* test.asd
* tests.lisp

4. I check to see if the SBCL is connected in the REPL, and the first message is either:

Code: Select all

"You are running SBCL 1.0.9.13 via Cusp 0.9.375"
or

Code: Select all

Disconnected
5. Now, if the SBCL is disconnected I click on the little "Connect" icon (a picture of two plugs) and it starts up fine. However, if I sit and wait for about 15 seconds, it disconnects. This is true whether I have loaded a project or not.

I'm not sure what exactly is causing this problem ... any help in finding a solution is much appreciated. :-)

~Sam.

gugamilare

Re: SBCL Problem using Eclipse/Cusp

Post by gugamilare » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:11 pm

I think you will have a better response if you try contacting Cusp 's mailing list. I don't use Cusp, so I can't help you, this seems to be a problem with Cusp. You may also want to test if slime also gives the same problem, if you already didn't.

sssaml3

Re: SBCL Problem using Eclipse/Cusp

Post by sssaml3 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:59 am

I fixed the problem I've been having: I simply downloaded an earlier version of Cusp here - http://www.bitfauna.com/projects/cusp/cusp_linux.tar.gz - and installed that with the SBCL, and the REPL no longer reports it being disconnected.

Lisp looks like a wonderfully powerful language. I cannot wait to master it! :-)
gugamilare wrote:I think you will have a better response if you try contacting Cusp 's mailing list. I don't use Cusp, so I can't help you, this seems to be a problem with Cusp. You may also want to test if slime also gives the same problem, if you already didn't.
It is shocking to note that Cusp has no mailing list. SLIME works perfectly. Thank you for your help. :-)