Page 1 of 1

New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:39 pm
by speech impediment
http://nostarch.com/lisp.htm

This seems to be a good book for me because there seems to be little information about using Lisp for programming graphics. I don't think the author is going to work with opengl much or at all. I read that he is going to use SVG. Hopefully, I will be able to apply information in the book to create some kind of basic GUI for general apps because this is another thing lacking in most Lisp books. Anyone else want to get this book?

Finally, I think the book is delayed and perhaps it will come out this fall instead of March:
http://www.lisperati.com/landoflisp/

Re: New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:03 am
by Wodin
speech impediment wrote:Finally, I think the book is delayed and perhaps it will come out this fall instead of March:
http://www.lisperati.com/landoflisp/

Excellent! It's "fall" (Autumn) here now! Where can I get it? ;)

Re: New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:14 am
by Wodin
speech impediment wrote:Finally, I think the book is delayed and perhaps it will come out this fall instead of March:
http://www.lisperati.com/landoflisp/


I've just had a proper look at that page and I see it mentions 'April 1st 2008' and 'I hope you enjoy this little April 1st "sneak peek"'. Also, the Last-Modified header for that page says 'Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:48:12 GMT' so when he says it's 'Due out this Fall', I am sure he means late 2008.

So maybe the 'Coming March 2010' on No Starch Press' page is still valid, although it's getting close to the end of the month.

Re: New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:55 pm
by speech impediment
Well, I checked the Amazon page a few weeks ago and it allowed me to pre-order. Then *poof*, it is gone and says "Currently unavailable."

Re: New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:17 pm
by Gradualore
I really hope that book comes out also. I worked through Conrad Barski's free tutorial, Casting SPELs with Lisp:

http://www.lisperati.com/casting.html

Re: New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:24 pm
by juliamat
It looks like the release of Conrad Barski’s long awaited graphic text on Lisp is getting closer. You can now order it from Amazon, although the publication date is listed as April 28, 2010. Conrad’s site says that it’s “due out this Fall” and the publisher’s site says “Coming March 2010″. I hope we don’t have to wait until next Spring.

Re: New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:51 pm
by Wodin
juliamat wrote:It looks like the release of Conrad Barski’s long awaited graphic text on Lisp is getting closer. You can now order it from Amazon, although the publication date is listed as April 28, 2010. Conrad’s site says that it’s “due out this Fall” and the publisher’s site says “Coming March 2010″. I hope we don’t have to wait until next Spring.


Conrad's site is clearly referring to 2008 when he says "due out this Fall". It's not long to wait for April 28, so we'll see soon enough if that is accurate :) but at least the intervals between the due dates are getting shorter, so it seems it is close to release.

Re: New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:19 pm
by amos
I was checking out "Casting SPELs in Lisp" again (http://www.lisperati.com/casting.html) and noticed a message just under the frontcover, which says:

3/31/10 Breaking News- Watch out for my new Super Fantastic Expanded Lisp Comic Book/Text Book from No Starch Press this Summer! Travel to the Land of Lisp- Soon in book form!! It's a bit behind schedule (what's a couple of years between friends) but it will be worth the wait!

Re: New book: Land of Lisp

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:40 pm
by Wodin
amos wrote:I was checking out "Casting SPELs in Lisp" again (http://www.lisperati.com/casting.html) and noticed a message just under the frontcover, which says:

3/31/10 Breaking News- Watch out for my new Super Fantastic Expanded Lisp Comic Book/Text Book from No Starch Press this Summer! Travel to the Land of Lisp- Soon in book form!! It's a bit behind schedule (what's a couple of years between friends) but it will be worth the wait!


Excellent :) Let's hope that's the northern hemisphere summer ;) Actually, what's another 6 months if it's not.